Change Ideas - Family Integration
- Consider holding at least one daily handoff in the patient room to facilitate family participation.
- Provide a glossary to parents and family members that defines standardized medical terminology and well-known and standardized abbreviations.
- Inform patients/families of change of service.25
- Use physician face cards to help families recognize the members of their care team and to introduce new members of the care team at the time of a service changeover.31
- Conduct service changeover at the patient bedside.31
- Include assessment of social determinants of health in handoff32 as well as plans for family’s participation in care.
- “I have social work working on housing”
- “the mom has been referred for grief counseling after the loss of Twin A”
- “parents live 400 miles away and can’t be here, we need to plan on skyping”