Databases and Reporting
VON serves as a neutral, independent party in analyzing and providing benchmarking data
Individual centers and groups identify local opportunities for improvement of neonatal care
More than 1,000 VON members benefit from participating in the world’s largest voluntary databases for very low birth weight infants and neonatal intensive care admissions. We track long-term outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants. Our Global Neonatal Database is tailored for neonatal healthcare teams in resource-limited settings.
Very Low Birth Weight Database
Extremely Low Birth Weight Follow-Up
Global Neonatal Database
Members can see trends in their own performance and their performance relative to the network to identify areas for improvement, and use their reports to support data-driven quality improvement efforts across the NICU.
VON reports and reporting tools help members identify opportunities to improve care for infants and families. Members can track performance over time to benchmark their practices and outcomes against previous years, subgroups of similar centers, and the network as a whole.
The confidential, customized reports document patient characteristics, treatment practices, morbidity, mortality, and length of stay at each center. Additional reporting tools show up-to-date information based on a center’s discharge data.
Reports show comprehensive and up-to-date information on patient demographics, outcomes, and interventions, including:
- Center, group, and network data
- Specific characteristics, outcomes, and procedures for individual infants
- Risk-adjusted outcome data
- Data based on discharge dates, which means the information is as up-to-date as the last entry submitted by the center (optional)
Groups of centers and centers exploring specific concerns can receive custom reports. We also publish summary results for the entire network, which are available to members annually.
Account Managers and free data collection and submission software facilitate participation.
Data Collection and Submission
Centers submitting data to VON databases are expected to collect and enter data in a timely manner and meet annual deadlines for data submission. Each VON center is assigned an Account Manager to assist in data collection and processing and to help navigate VON services.
VON provides data collection and submission software, eNICQ, as a benefit of membership. Members are encouraged to use eNICQ as it helps ensure the accurate entry and submission of data to the VON Databases.
In addition VON provides:
- Electronic Data Submission options
- Electronic data interface options for hospital EHRs
- Online data management tools
- Manuals of Operations
- Video tutorials
- Training webinars
- Technical support
Vermont Oxford Network is:
- A steward for two measures endorsed by the National Quality Forum:
- A steward for two measures on The Leapfrog Group Hospital Survey:
- Risk-adjusted death or morbidity
- Proportion of infants who receive antenatal steroids